You stumbled into a field you absolutely LOVE and you want to shout from the rooftops! But the jargon you learned in graduate school just doesn't quite sink in... In fact, there’s even evidence now* that it turns people AWAY from the science we have all come to love… When you figure out how to solve this problem and you develop the skills to effectively share our field there’s a new world of opportunities that arise - kind of like a behavioral cusp. In Storytelling and Behavior Analysis: Using Narrative in Science I will guide you through three distinct things. First, the story about how Applied Behavior Analysis became a known field. The reason most of us ever had a job in this field is because of one powerful story written by a mother who we are indebted to as a field. Second, I cover how our field’s experts are speaking on the role of narrative, how we understand it, and what we need to do to fully investigate the effect. Third, and most importantly - I’ll explain two distinct models that are used by science communicators and professional storytellers that know how to influence the behavior of billions of people simultaneously. Explore the frontier and strategies like the ABT method and the Hero’s Journey in this short-form course designed for BCBA® & BCaBA® credential holders. BACB® CEUs are included and discounts are available for RBT®s looking to leverage this knowledge (email [email protected] with your RBT number for verification and special pricing.).
12 video lessons by Ryan O'Donnell, MS, BCBA and after the course, you will be able to:
- Identify and describe the research articles and special issues published in behavior analytic literature related to the use of narrative in behavior analytic journals.
- Identify the role storytelling has played in the development of the profession of Applied Behavior Analysis as a field and specialty.
- Identify the storytelling structure built into the scientific method and the role storytelling plays in the consumption and accurate dissemination of scientific findings.
- Identify and describe the science communication field and strategies used by interdisciplinary fields to communicate scientific findings and position science-based information to the public (e.g., the ABT method and Hero's Journey model).
- Identify how modern marketing leverages functional thinking in the design and implementation of material that impacts billions of viewers (e.g., the use of FA methodologies).
- Identify and describe the steps of good and bad copywriting strategies.
- Identify the use of storytelling in various dissemination efforts by behavior analysts (e.g., TEDx talks, social media use, documentary films).
This is a lifetime access purchase, meaning it will never expire once you have purchased the course.
A total of one and a half (1.5; no ethics, no supervision) BACB® Learning CEUs Available
RYANO, LLC is an Approved Continuing Education (ACE) (# OP-19-3037) provider and The Behavior Analyst Certification Board (“BACB”) does not sponsor, approve or endorse RYANO, LLC, the materials, information or sessions identified herein.
Ryan O'Donnell, MS, BCBA Resume/CV